Determine Your Financial Aid Eligibility

Determine Your Financial Aid Eligibility

We want each student to have access to the financial aid assistance they need to obtain an affordable education. Depending on your financial circumstance, it may not be realistic to expect financial aid to cover the complete cost of attending college. Even with the option of aid, you and your parents (if applicable) are expected to be the primary contributors to your college expenses.

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to receive financial aid you must:

  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or a State approved High School equivalency
  • Be enrolled in an eligible academic program
  • Be working toward a degree or certificate
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Have no defaulted loans or owe a grant repayment
  • Not participate in the sale or possession of drugs while receiving Federal student aid.
  • Register with Selective Service (if applicable)

Have Questions About Your Dependency Status?

As long as you are considered a dependent, you will need to provide your parents' income and financial information when applying for aid. Use the following criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education to determine your dependency status so you can provide the correct information on your financial aid application(s).

financial aid

You are not considered a dependent if you:

  • Will be 24 or older by January 1 of the school year for which you are applying for aid
  • Are married
  • Will be working toward a master's, doctorate, or other graduate-level degree
  • Have children who receive more than half of their support from you
  • Have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you
  • Are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training
  • Are a veteran of the U.S. armed forces
  • Were in foster care, were a ward or dependent of the court, and/or lost both your parents since you turned age 13.
  • Are an emancipated minor or are in a legal guardianship as determined by a court
  • Are an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless

All other students will be considered dependent and must provide their parents' information when applying for financial aid. The unwillingness of your parents to sign or provide the required information, or being self-supporting are not valid justifications to be considered independent. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance, please visit the Financial Aid Office.

Information for International Students

If you are an international student at Mesa, you will be responsible for paying all mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, enrollment fees, and health services fees. Financial aid is not available to F-1 visa international students, however, you are eligible to apply for scholarships to help defray the cost of attending college in the United States.

Learn how to apply for college scholarships

Information for Students Enrolling in Online Classes)

If you are enrolled in all online classes you will need to provide proof of identity in person at the Financial Aid Office in order to clear your first Grant or Loan disbursement. If you reside outside of San Diego County, you may provide proof of identity with an original notarized form and signatures. If your legal or mailing address is located outside of California and you are attempting to enroll in online classes only, you will be unable to enroll and therefore be ineligible for financial aid.

Learn more about residency and eligibility