Director of Admissions and Records
Residency and International Student
Contact Mesa International Students
Student Services Center 1-400, Mon-Thurs, 8 am - 6 pm, Fri 8 am - 1 pm.
Please schedule QLess Appointment for service
MASKS REQUIRED FOR SERVICE
Ways to Join QLess:
Text: 619-404-2585 Keyword: sdmc admissions
We are available to assist you remotely. Please email us at SDMesaIS@sdccd.edu
Welcome prospective international student! Find your passport to international admission here.
F-1 General Information
- An international student must register for and maintain a minimum of 12 units each semester while at Mesa College. Part-time F-1 status will not be approved. The registration status of all international students will be monitored by the college.
- A recent photograph must be submitted with an application (passport size is acceptable).
- The college may restrict the number of international students accepted from a single country so that a variety of nations of the world will be represented in the student body.
- Potential international students are advised that they must comply with all requirements of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and of San Diego Mesa College to be admitted as international students.
- A transfer student from another accredited United States college or university must:
- Follow set transfer procedures of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS); and
- Have pursued a full-time course of study with a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C) at the college the student was last authorized to attend (an official transcript must be filed).
F-1 Admission Requirements
Fall 2022 applications are currently being accepted until the application deadline of June 1, 2022.
All international students are required to pay a US$100.00 non- refundable application fee payable in the form of an international or US money order or by using the Application Fee Payment Form.
Each international student must submit verification of sufficient financial resources. The verification must indicate the ability of the student to finance each year's education and living expenses. Minimum of $31,000 required for one school year (two semesters).
An international student attending the college must pay all mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, enrollment fees and health services fees.
Financial aid is not available to F-1 visa international students. However, international students are eligible to apply for scholarships to defray the cost of attending college in the United States.
An international student may not accept off-campus employment while attending college unless approval is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and the International Student Advisor.
Students must be in good health and free of communicable diseases. The "Report of Health Examination" form or a medical examination report by a physician must be submitted prior to admission. The medical examination must certify immunization against polio, diphtheria, measles, rubella, and tetanus, and must provide tuberculosis clearance.
Each student must present and maintain satisfactory evidence of an active medical insurance policy while in attendance.
English Proficiency Requirements
To be considered for admission, an international student whose native language is not English must take an International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and score a minimum of 500 on the paper-based test, 173 on the computerized version, or 61 on the internet-based test (official score report with 2 year recency). For questions regarding the TOEFL test, please visit the Educational Testing Service website at: www.ets.org/toefl/. Institutional reports or photocopies will not be accepted. Students may petition to waive the TOEFL requirement under one of the following conditions:
- International English Language Testing System, or IELTS with a minimum score of 6.0 (official score report with 2 year recency);
- SAT Evidence-based Reading and Writing (EBRW) with a minimum score of 450 (official score report with 2 year recency);
- Graduate from a high school in the United States or abroad where English is the medium of instruction; or
- Completion of a transfer level college English composition course at an accredited United States institution with a grade of "C" or higher.
An international student must have graduated from high school (or its equivalent) with a GPA of 2.0 ("C") or better.
Students who have obtained a GED (General Education Development) must have attained a minimum score of 45.
Transcripts of all previous secondary and college/university education must be filed, including an English translation of the transcript, before an application will be considered.
An international student in possession of an associate degree or its equivalent (completion of about 60 semester units) or higher may be determined to be beyond the course offerings of Mesa College and is encouraged to apply to a four-year college or university.
Other Visa Students
All other visa categories or immigrant classifications, must apply through General Admissions and work with the Residency Office to determine residency status.
Students who are residing in the United States on other than F-1 student visas must comply with all restrictions on total units enrolled as specified by the Department of Homeland Security.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CHECKLIST AND APPLICATION PACKET
- The application packet consist of the following forms:
- International Student Application Checklist
- International Student Application Form
- Financial Statement
- Health Examination Report
- Application Fee Payment Form
- Transfer Clearance Form
Admission for Fall Semester: Admission for Fall semester students must complete all admissions requirements no later than June 1st.
Admission for Spring Semester: Admission for Spring semester students must complete all admissions requirements no later than November 1st.
Students are strongly encouraged to submit the application and supporting documents during the month prior to but no later than the deadlines: June 1st for Fall and November 1st for Spring.