Academic Review Committee
Academic Review Committee Procedures
The Academic Review Committee considers petitions as they are submitted online via the District's Forms & Documents page.
For questions regarding the Academic Review Committee process, please contact the Evaluations Office here.
The academic review committee reviews the following petitions:
- Petition for Exception to Course Repetition Policy
- Modification of Graduation Requirements (For District & GE Requirements Only).
1.) Petition for Exception to Course Repetition:
Course Repetition Policy
- No course in which a “C” or better grade has been earned may be repeated.
- No course in which an unsatisfactory grade of “D”, “F”, "NP" or "W" has been earned may be repeated more than three times, unless otherwise indicated in the catalog.
- Students will not be allowed more than three enrollments in a non-activity course, regardless of grade or symbol earned.
Students who believe that they have a compelling reason for an exception to this policy may file the Petition for Exception to Course Repetition Policy following the procedures below:
Students must meet with a counselor to obtain the Mesa Petition for Exception to Course Repetition Policy and required documents (letter, education plan, supporting documents,and unofficial transcripts). Students can submit their petition and required documents through the District's Forms & Documents website here. *all transcripts from colleges/universities attended must be attached tot he request.
If the petition is approved, the student will be emailed steps to submit their completed Registration Worksheet with their desired class to the Admissions office where an Admissions staff will manually enroll the student. Note: this petition is campus specific so the class must be a Mesa class. The online class schedule is available here.
2.) Modification of Graduation Requirements (for District and GE Requirements Only):
Any variation to District Graduation or General Education Requirements must be approved by the Academic Review Committee. Requests for modification must be submitted on a Modification of Graduation Requirements form following the procedures below.
Procedure: It is highly recommended that you meet with a counselor to determine if you meet the eligibility and if a modification is necessary.
- Meet with a Counselor to review elgibility and collect the required supporting documentation that will be attached in your submission. appropriate petition and documents in order to submit your request.
- Visit the District's Forms & Documents page here.
- Click the “Modification of Graduation Requirements"
- Complete the required fields and attach required documentation (letter, education plan, catalog description, unofficial transcripts, and any supporting documentation).
- When submitting, please include any comments that may be necessary.
- Students will receive an email once the process is complete. The status will also be available in their Advising Notes in the mySDCCD portal under "My Academics"
- Substitutions will be applied once all degree and/or certificate requirements are complete.