what is the umoja-mesa academy program (umap)?
The Umoja-Mesa Academy Program (UMAP) is a unique program designed to increase the graduation, transfer, and retention of Black and African American students here at San Diego Mesa College. UMAP utilizes a culturally relevant course curriculum that has been collaboratively crafted by faculty and counselors. This community is committed to the academic success, personal growth, and self-actualization of all involved students. While aiming to improve the reading, writing, and critical thinking skills of our students, we also engage them in immersion that aids the construction of knowledge and critical thought. By having faculty and counselors that are culturally competent, our students are equipped with support to navigate the barriers that have historically impacted African American students in educational settings. UMAP is a family, in which we pour into one another and care for each other as we learn to navigate college and education.
UMoja mission statement
Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success. Umoja actively serves and promotes student success for all students through a curriculum and pedagogy responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas
- Mission statement taken from https://umojacommunity.org/mission-and-vision-statements
UMAP offer students
- Career, academic and personal counseling
- Opportunities to attend Umoja sponsored events and conferences
- Access to Umoja Community scholarships
- Cultural experiences
- Academic excellence celebrations
- University visits
- Access to Umoja Village Space
- Increased self-confidence
- Build and develop community
Umoja students benefit from
- A tight-knit campus wide community
- Comprehensive student support programs
- On and off-campus enrichment activities, including university visits and conferences
- A safe place to share lived experiences
- Apply for admission to San Diego Mesa Community College
- Apply for Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA
- Submit the Program Interest Form
- Attend the UMAP Orientation (Date TBA)
along with the steps above, you must
- Meet with a UMAP Counselor to design an academic plan.
- To schedule a meeting time appointment, email UMAP Coordinator Jordan Nash at email@example.com
- Be willing to enroll as a full-time student (12 or more units)
- Register in the UMAP courses
how do i apply?
To apply please complete the following interest form.
counseling Drop-in appointments