Mesa Journeys



work experience

frequently asked questions:

Before Enrollment in Work Experience: 

Q:  Do I need a job or internship before I attend the orientation?
A:  Yes.  You need to have a job or internship (paid, unpaid, or volunteer position) before receiving an ADD code.

Q:  Does Work Experience find a job or internship for me?
A:  In most cases, no.  Some program-specific courses, such as Fashion, Interior Design, or GISG, provide a list of potential internship sites from the department or instructor. For support in finding a placement, you can connect with Mesa's Internship Coordinator, Pavel Consuegra (, to review search strategies, update your resume, and prepare for an internship.

Q: How do I enroll in Work Experience 270?
A:  Just as for other classes, register through Reg-E. All Work Experience 270/272 classes are ADD code only.  Students view an Online Orientation, complete an Orientation Quiz, complete a Sexual Harassment Prevention Training, and submit the Online Work Experience Application. Upon approval, you will receive an ADD code. You may be further required to attend a mandatory instructor orientation. Your instructor will inform you if he/she is having a short one hour instructor orientation.

Q: Can I enroll after the semester has begun?
A: Yes.  Students can enroll up to the add/drop deadline by following the Work Experience webpage enrollment procedures. Please contact the Work Experience Coordinator if you obtain an internship after the add/drop deadline (Shawn Fawcett |

Q: Can Work Experience 270 be taken more than once?
A: Yes.  Students may repeat Work Experience courses up to the lifetime maximum of 16 units - Check with your specific program or a Counselor as to how many units will apply towards your degree requirements. All types of Occupational Work Experience courses (including program specific 270 courses) are counted in the lifetime maximum credit limit.  Students may enroll in only one (1) Work Experience 270 course per semester.

Q: Does my job or internship have to be paid?
A: No.  Credit can be earned in the program regardless of whether your work is paid or unpaid, as long as you meet the program requirements.

Q: What takes place in the Online Orientation?
A: During the Online Orientation, course requirements and expectations including enrollment procedures will be presented. Learning how to write SMART Learning Objectives will be shown on a short YouTube video that will help the student prepare a required Learning Agreement between the workplace, the student and Mesa College.

Q: Are there special guidelines for International Students?
A: International students are required to attend the International Student Orientation, Employment Workshop, submit a CPT checklist, and update your I-20 in order to enroll in Work Experience. Contact the International Student Advisor at (619) 388-2672 for more information. Please also contact Shawn Fawcett at for additional steps and approval. 

Q: Can Veteran students enroll in Work Experience? 
A: Yes, but students are encouraged to contact a Veteran Counselor and/or Veteran Services to understand how enrolling in a Work Experience course may impact your education plan and/or VA benefits.

Q: Can minors enroll in Work Experience (under 18 years old)? 
A: Yes, please contact Shawn Fawcett at for additional steps and approval before completing the online Work Experience Application. Note: A certified Work Permit will be required for students under 18 years of age.

Q: I attend SDSU or another college, but I was offered an internship and want to get college credit. Can I enroll in Work Experience at Mesa College?
A: Yes, but you must be a current Mesa College student and complete all requirements and steps to enroll in order to receive an ADD code to enroll in Work Experience. Complete the online application at to become a Mesa student.

SDSU students should contact and meet with their Major Advisor (directory list) and consult with the Department Internship Contact for your major/program (directory list) to determine if a Mesa Work Experience course will satisfy a degree requirement for SDSU. 

Q: How much does a Work Experience course cost? 
A: Please review the Mesa College Cost of Attendance for more information about fees associated with a Work Experience course. 

After Enrollment in Work Experience: 

Q: The semester has begun and I want to change the Work Experience 270 course number of units, what do I do?
A: You will not be able to make number of unit changes after the add/drop deadline.

Q: Can I change jobs during the semester?
A: Yes.  You are allowed to change jobs/internships one time during the semester, and you must coordinate this with your instructor and inform the Work Experience Coordinator. However, changing between placements must be consistent and the same type of position (ie: paid to paid position OR unpaid to unpaid position). 

Q: If I change jobs, what do I need to do?
A: Notify your Instructor and Work Experience Coordinator when you are going to change jobs.  You will need to finalize your Cumulative Work Record from your first placement with your Supervisor and Instructor. A new Learning Agreement will need to be completed for the new placement.  Be sure to record your work hours at the new job on a new Cumulative Work Record.

Q: Can I use hours from two jobs to meet the minimum required hours?
A: Work Experience hours may be completed at more than one approved organization during the semester and only under specific approved cases. Work Experience Instructors must approve. You cannot turn in hours from a paid and a non-paid position during the same course.

Q: Do I need to work the same number of hours each week?
A: No.  You must meet the minimum required work hours for the course, but the number of hours per shift or per week can vary.

Q: May I count vacation and holiday time as part of my required work hours?
A: If you are NOT working on those days, you cannot record vacation and holiday time toward your required work hours.

Q: Do I need an email account to use in this course?
A: Yes, you should get an email account.  Even though this is not an online course, much of the instructor/student communication is done through email.  If you do not have a computer at home, you can use the computers in the LRC or Public Library to check your email.  You can establish a free email account through a number of providers including:

Q: I need to make changes to the objectives on the Training Agreement after the first site visit.  What do I do?
A: Discuss the changes with your Supervisor and contact your Instructor immediately.

Q: What must I do if I need to drop the course?
A: Notify your Instructor and the Work Experience Coordinator that you will be dropping the course.  The instructor will work with you to resolve problems, if possible. If you decide to drop the course, it is your responsibility to initiate and complete the withdrawal procedure.

If you need additional information, contact Melanie Baeza-McCray at