- Student Services Building, I400
Room: 4th Floor, I4-410
CalWORKs Office Hours:
- Program Email:
- CalWORKs Program Coordinator/Counselor:
- Adjunct Counselor:
What is CalWORKs?
The California Working for Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) is a public assistance program (welfare program) that provides cash aid and services to eligible needy California families that have a child(ren) in the home.
San Diego Mesa College serves CalWORKs students and their families by providing educational and career opportunities combined with an array of high-quality support services that enable students to complete their educational goals, find meaningful employment, and successfully transition into the workforce.
- Currently a CalWORKs recipient receiving cash-aid for themselves and at least one child.
- Provide current cash-aid “Notice of Action” documentation from the county.
- Be in good standing with Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA).
- Be enrolled or plan to be enrolled at San Diego Mesa College at least part-time in a major that leads to employment.
- Complete a San Diego Mesa College CalWORKs Program Application
- Working towards one or more of the following:
◊ To improve work skills
◊ AA/AS Degree
◊ Transfer to a university
(You don't need a high school diploma or GED to participate)
- Academic, career, personal counseling
- Individual Training Plan (ITP)
- Mesa CalWORKs Program Orientation and Onboarding
- Advocacy as needed
- Drop-in counseling
How to apply
To apply to the Mesa College CalWORKs Program, please click below.