Go to Department Page


Child Development offers programs for career and transfer students. Certificates of Performance, Certificates of Achievement and an Associate of Science Degree are available to students interested in a range of child development opportunities and in meeting the requirements for the State of California Child Development permits and the California State Department of Social Services, Title 22, Community Care Licensing.

Gainful Employment Information

Program Emphasis

The Child Development program offers course work, training and supervised practicum experiences to meet state licensing requirements for working in centers, schools, childcare homes and service related agencies. This skills and knowledge gained in beginning courses provide the framework and foundation for more specialized courses.

Award Type Units

*and courses to meet graduation requirements, general education and electives as needed to meet the minimum of 60 units required for the degree.

Career Options

The San Diego Community College District offers an Associate of Science Degree, Certificates of Achievement and Performance, and transfer options in the field of Child Development/Early Childhood Education. The Assistant Teacher Certificate of Performance prepares students to work in public and private childcare settings. The Home Day Care Certificate of Performance provides student with skills and knowledge for childcare in family settings. The Associate Teacher, Teacher, and Master Teacher Certificates of Achievement, prepare students for higher levels of instructional positions and meet the requirements for the State of California Child Development Permits. The Child Development Associate in Science Degree prepares students for positions as teacher, master teacher and director in the field of Child Development/Early Childhood Education.

Students will be assessed through a combination of performance evaluations, written assignments, and written tests and quizzes.


Transfer Information

Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university should complete courses required for the university major and the general education pattern required by that transfer institution. See catalog TRANSFER INFORMATION section. Additional courses may be required to meet university lower-division requirements.

Course requirements at the transfer institution are subject to change and may be verified by a counselor or by consulting the current university catalog. Many Baccalaureate in Arts degrees require third semester competency in a foreign language. Consult the current catalog of the transfer institution and consult with a counselor.

Program Learning Outcomes