FOCUS 2 is an online, interactive, self-guided career, major and education planning system. This system is free to use for Mesa College students.
Finding Career Options
FOCUS 2 is used in the second and third step of the Career Assessment and Exploration process listed below:
Step 1: Online Career Exploration Workshop
- Go to www.studentlingo.com/Mesa
- Under Academic & Career Exploration click “Exploring Career & Choosing a Major”
- When prompted, type in your First Name and Last Name, then click “Submit”
- Click “Click to Launch Workshop” to begin workshop and go through each segment of the workshop.
*If you would like, you can participate in any activities within the workshop or view other workshops. However, they are not required.*
Step 2: Complete Self-Assessments
- Create a FOCUS 2 account (contact Career Center for access code)
- Fill out the form to create a new account
- From the Main Menu (under Self-Assessment) click on and complete the following three assessments:
- Work Interest Assessment
- Personality Assessment
- Values Assessment
4. After each workshop you will be provided with a list of recommended occupations (job titles). Proceed to Step 3 with these three lists.
tep 3: Online Career Research
Using the three lists of occupations from your self-assessments, begin to research and explore occupations that interest you, especially occupations that you are not familiar with. Below are recommendations of information you should research within FOCUS 2.
- Description of the Occupation
- Salary/Wage Information
- Similar Occupations
- Required Major
- What Schools Offer the Required Major
- Required Level of Education (i.e. associate degree, bachelors degree, etc)
Other Online Career Research Websites:
- View national and state (including CA) occupational information & statistics. Click “Browse Occupations” to begin researching.
- California Occupational Guides! Info & statistics on occupations in California. Breaks up information by California county.
- California Community College Virtual Career Center: explore career pathways, professional associations and career tips.
Step 4: Your Next Steps
- If you have found the career for you see an academic counselor to discuss your educational and career plans.
- If you are still unsure or still feel lost about which career to choose: please visit the Career Center to discuss your next step. To assist the staff in determining your next steps, please bring with you the following to the Career Center:
- The three lists of occupations
- Some of the research you completed
Using FOCUS 2
FOCUS 2 can additionally be used for Major Exploration, Job Search and creating an action plan and portfolio.
Presentation: How to use FOCUS 2.
Accessing FOCUS 2
Login (if you already have an acount): https://www.focuscareer2.com/
Create a FOCUS 2 account here
Please contact the Career Center by phone or in person for the college access code.
Presentation: How to create an account and use FOCUS 2.