Mesa Academics & Athletics Program
MAAP Mission Statement
The Mesa Academics and Athletics Program (MAAP) at San Diego Mesa College empowers student-athletes to identify and achieve their educational, career, athletic and personal goals. The support program guides student-athletes to obtain an educational degree while meeting California community college and/or transfer eligibility requirements. MAAP aims to motivate student-athletes to succeed in the classroom, the athletic arena and in the community.
- To assist student-athletes in the identification of educational, career, athletic and personal goals
- To empower student-athletes to reach academic, career, athletic and personal success
- To increase retention, graduation and transfer rates of student athletes
- To encourage each student-athlete to develop independence, self-advocacy and to mature mentally emotionally, physically and athletically.
- To create an environment within the intercollegiate athletic program that promotes academic achievement.
- To provide CCCAA, NCAA, and NAIA resources.
- To maximize the academic potential of student-athletes by providing an atmosphere that enhances learning skills, career development, and personal development. This will be done by encouraging the student-athletes to:
Enroll in a Personal Growth course, utilize free tutoring services, and use the student services on campus (i.e. Transfer Center, Career Center, Counseling and others).
TYPE OF MAAP COUNSELING SERVICES:
1) MAAP or General Drop-in Counseling (i.e. quick questions, abbreviated Ed Plans, petitions, basic eligiblity)
2) 1 hour MAAP Counseling Appointments (i.e. long term planning, AA, transfer, indepth CCCAA/NCAA.NAIA eligibility, personal and career counseling)
3) NEW Service: Hot Spots for Student-Athletes
This is a Counseling drop-in service just for student-athletes in the Exercise Science Building (i.e. quick questions, certain petitions, and if needed, an abbreviated Ed Plan).
From February 27th to May 23rd, the MAAP Counselor will be available on Mondays and Tuesdays in EXSC 203 from 10am-1pm.
Here are the dates and times, the MAAP Counselor will not be available for Hot Spot Services:
March 7th, week of Spring break (March 27th & 28th), April 17th, May 8th and 9th
Tuesdays, the MAAP Counselor is not available from 11am-12pm due to the STAR Awards Planning Committee meeting: March 14th, April 18th and 25th, May 2nd and 16th.
** See Getting Started section of this website for more info (specifically Step 8) or call the Counseling Department for the MAAP Counselor's availability at 619-388-2672.