Graduation is not automatic upon completion of requirements.
Students who expect to complete the requirements for an Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement must file a Petition for Graduation form by the deadline for the semester of expected graduation. For Certificates of Performance, please see the section at the bottom of the page.
- The Petition for Graduation form may be completed online at:
https://studentweb.sdccd.edu/e-grades or by meeting with a counselor.
Graduation vs. Commencement: Participation in commencement activities is encouraged, but not required and is separate from completing a Petition for Graduation form.
A celebration of success! This important annual event takes place toward the end of the Spring semester for students who complete their associates degree or certificate of achievement requirements in the prior Fall, current Spring or upcoming Summer sessions.
Each year, Commencement invitations, which include registration information, are mailed to identified graduates in March to the mailing address on file. If your mailing address has changed, please be sure to update your information on Reg-e. (Graduates are identified by those that have filed a Petition for Graduation for the prior Fall, current Spring or upcoming Summer sessions.)
Upon receipt of your Commencement invitation, graduates will be able to register online for the Spring Commencement ceremony through the registration link provided in the invitation.
Graduates, if you miss the commencement registration deadline and still plan to attend the ceremony, please arrive by 1:15 p.m. to the commencement event and check-in with a Mesa employee at the check-in table. If you have additional questions regarding the ceremony, please call the Evaluations Office at 619-388-2680.
For more commencement details please visit the Mesa Commencement website at: http://www.sdmesa.edu/students/academic/commencement/
- October 2, 2017 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation ONLY For students transferring to a CSU in either Winter 2018 or Spring 2018 and is completing an Associate Degree for Transfer(ADT).
- November 14, 2017 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduationand be a Fall 2017 graduate. Students filing after this date will be Spring 2018 graduates.
- February 15, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for GraduationONLY for students transferring to a CSU in Fall 2018 and is completing an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT).
- March 23, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation for Spring 2018 and ensure your name will be included in the Commencement Program.
**Students filing after this date but before April 30, 2018 will still be Spring 2018 graduates but their name may not be in the Commencement Program.**
- April 30, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Spring 2018 graduate. Students filing after this date will be Summer 2018 graduates.
- July 31, 2018 - Deadline to file a Petition for Graduation and be a Summer 2018 graduate. Students filing after this date will be Fall 2018 graduates.
Petition for Graduation Processing
- All transcripts from other colleges attended must be on file prior to submitting the Petition for Graduation form. **Transcripts may be waived for petition for a Certificate of Achievement if all coursework for the certification has been completed within the District. See Transcript section.
- Once the petition is submitted, an evaluation of all coursework will be completed and then mailed to the student. This make take up to 3 months.
- The graduation evaluation shows all requirements for degree/certificate completion and the courses that have been taken to fulfill those requirements. Any outstanding requirements are indicated and must be completed before the Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement will be awarded.
- For questions regarding your graduation evaluations it is recommended you meet with a counselor in EOPS, DSPS, STAR/TRIO, or General Counseling. In some circumstances staff in the Evaluations Office may be able to answer questions, please feel free to contact us.
- Note that 12 units required for the Associate Degree must be completed at the college granting the degree. Six of the 12 units must be in the major.
- Completion of a Degree or Certificate is posted on the official transcript within six weeks of the end of the semester.
Graduation with Honors
Graduation with honors distinction is based upon all coursework that is associate degree and lower division baccalaureate degree applicable or coursework applicable to the certificate of achievement.
- Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 3.5 GPA.
- High Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 3.75 GPA.
- Highest Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 4.0 GPA.
Students will be notified that the honors distinction is pending at the time of the graduation ceremony, when the GPA is calculated based upon degree or certificate applicable coursework completed through the fall semester of the year of the ceremony. The final honors distinction will be determined upon completion of all coursework completed through the spring semester for spring graduates or the summer term for summer graduates and fall semester for fall graduates.
An honors notation is placed on the student's official transcript and diploma.
Other Honors Topics - Not related to graduating with honors
Students who maintain continuous enrollment may choose to graduate under the college catalog in effect at the time they began their studies in a California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus, or under the catalog in effect at the time of graduation.
Continuous enrollment is defined as attendance in one semester or two quarters (excluding summer) within a calendar year in the CSU, UC, or California Community College System.
Certification of a student's completion of CSU general education requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is not a graduation requirement. Therefore, students do not have catalog rights to a certification pattern used by a certifying institution or a CSU or UC campus.
Diplomas for associate degrees and certificates of acheivement are automatically mailed to the student's official address on file. Students are responsible for updating address changes within the reg-e system. Diplomas are mailed usually eight weeks after of the end of the semester.
To order a duplicate copy of your diploma:
- Contact the Evaluations Office to verify degree/certificate completion.
- Complete the Processing Fees for Reissuing Diplomas form and take the form to the Accounting office to pay the $10 reissue fee.
- Return to the Evaluations Office with the form and proof of payment.
- Reissued diplomas take approximately four weeks for processing.
Certificate of Performance
Certificates of Performance are departmental awards and do not appear on student's transcripts.
Certificate of Performance Requirements:
- Students much achieve a grade of “C” or better in each of the required courses.
- Complete all required course work in the San Diego Community College District.
- Course substitutions or course equivalencies from other colleges may not be used to satisfy Certificate of Performance requirements.
- Once a student has completed all requirements and all grades are officially posted on a student academic record, students may petition to receive their Certificate of Performance by visiting the Evaluations Office.