ContactRoom: Room I4-309 (3rd floor)
M-Th: 8:00am - 6:00pm
F: 8:00am - 3:00pm
WHAT IS NEXT UP?
The Next UP program is under the umbrella of the Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS). Historically, EOPS has helped students to achieve their educational goals and objectives of obtaining career technical education (CTE), certificates, associate degrees (AS/AA), and transfer to four-year universities. Next UP is a supplemental component of EOPS and designed to support the educational goals and well-being of current and former foster youth. Our program provides ‘over and above’ support services and caring staff to help former foster youth overcome roadblocks that may prevent them from the pursuit of higher education and career goals.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT UP SERVICES?
- Priority registration
- Academic, personal and career counseling
- Book Vouchers
- Assistance applying for Financial Aid
- Assistance applying for the CHAFEE grant and other scholarships
- Life Skills seminars and workshops
- Connection to resources and connections to the greater Foster Care Community
- School supplies you need
- Transportation assistance such as bus pass; parking permit; or gas card.
- Access to tutoring
- Food assistance
- Help with emergency housing
WHAT ARE NEXT UP REQUIREMENTS?
- Be a California resident.
- Qualify to receive a California College Promise Grant (formerly the Board of Governors Fee Waiver).
- Be a current or former foster youth in California whose dependency or wardship was established or continued by the court on, or after the youth’s 16th birthday.
- Be under 26 at the beginning of the academic year.
- Be enrolled in at least nine (9) units.
- Note: The EOPS 70 unit & 6 semester degree-applicable unit limit does not apply to CAFYES students upon admittance to the NextUP program nor apply for dismissal from the NextUP program.
How to Apply to Next UP
- NexUP applications are available in the EOPS office for Spring 2019.
- Submit applications through the EOPS office.
- For more information contact us: San Diego Mesa College
EOPS Office, Student Services Bldg
Room I4-309, 7250 Mesa College Drive
San Diego, CA 92111-4998