SPRING 2021 IRL Virtual Engineering Workshops
COVID-19 RESPONSE (updated SPRING 2021)
San Diego Mesa College is on remote operation status lasting for an indefinite time.
During this time, the Innovation Research Lab (IRL) is closed for in-person services
until further notice. We know this is a difficult transition for both our center as
well as for our students but know that we are here to support you. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
Please click here to visit the Mesa College COVID-19 update and resources page.
How to return the laptop checked out from IRL?
IRL Virtual Workshops
- Join Spring 20201 IRL Virtual Engineering Workshops! Please cick here to RSVP (required).
- Fall 2020 IRL Virtual Mechatronics Workshops (Click here to watch a replay of the workshops)
- Spring 2020 Engineering Workshops
- I really enjoyed the workshops! I feel like I learned a lot and have a new appreciation for Engineering that I did not have before. I am very appreciative that it could continue after the semester went online. It was always a nice escape for a little while! (Spring 2020)
IRL outcome report
- Fall 2020 Mechatronics/Engineering Workshops Feedback Survey
- Innovation Research Lab (IRL) Usage & Outcomes Report (FA18-SP19)
What's Available in IRL?
- Free coffee everyday!
- Lenovo Laptops (touch screen) & HP Desktop computers (Programs: DR JAVA, Google Earth Pro, BlueJ, etc.)
- Free printing services (Black & White Printer & Color Printer)
- 3D Printers
- LCD TV Screen
- Charging Stations
The Innovation lab aims to empower our diverse student population to obtain their academic goals by providing educational access, support, inclusion, and lifelong learning opportunities at San Diego Mesa College. As a community college research center, we promote student success by linking faculty with student mentees to develop exciting research ideas, encourage scholarship, and nurture scientific identity. As faculty, we believe that research experience is extremely fundamental for academic achievement and we welcome all students regardless of age, gender, or social and cultural background.
Our vision is to be a leading community college with a comprehensive program structured around the understanding of scientific investigation by engaging students in research initiatives.
Strategic direction and Purpose
- Teach ethics and responsible conduct in research
- Engage in problem solving based learning
- Foster science identity and inclusion of all students
- Participate in scientific article readings and journal club
- Teach students the ability to analyze data and interpret results
- Train students to present their research at mini-symposia and professional societies
The goal of our center is to enhance and enrich student learning at Mesa College. Our program provides a creative and inclusive scientific environment where positive research experiences allow under-represented students to feel welcomed so that they become STEM majors at San Diego Mesa College.
Psychology, Biology, Genetics, Archaeology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Geographic Information Systems, Engineering