- Accelerated College Program
- Allied Health
- American Indian Studies
- American Sign Language
- Animal Health Technology
- Architecture and Environmental Design
- Asian American Studies
- Art & Fine Art
- Arts & Languages (School)
- Black Studies
- Building & Construction Technology
- Business & Technology (School)
- Chicano Studies
- Child Development
- Communication Studies
- Computer Business Technology
- Computer Information Science
- Culinary Arts
- Dental Assisting
- Digital Technology
- Dramatic Arts
- Exercise Science
- Geographic Information Systems
- Health Information Technology
- Health Information Management
- Health Sciences & Public Service (School)
- Humanities (School)
- Interior Design
- Liberal Arts
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Studies
- Mathematics & Natural Sciences (School)
- Medical Assisting
- Physical Science
- Physical Sciences
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Political Science
- Radiologic Technology
- Real Estate
- Social Behavioral Sciences & Multicultural Studies (School)
- Social Sciences
- Web Development
The next PTA Program application opens April 5, 2021 at 12pm and closes April 26, 2021 at 12pm.
General information and program documents will be posted by Spring 2020.
PTA Program Prerequisites are:
Anatomy/Physiology - minimum of 4 units covering all systems with a lab, C or better, completed within the past 5 years, BIOL 160 (will accepts BIOL 230 and BIOL 235)
Communication - COMS 135 Interpersonal Communications 3 units preferred, will accept any IGETC area 1C, COMS
Psychology - PSY 112 Interpersonal Relations or PSY 111 Psychological/Social Aspects of Aging, Death and Dying or PSY 125 Introduction to Behavior Modification strongly recommended 3 units, will also accept PSY 101 General Psychology or PSY 245 Abnormal Psychology
Introduction to Physical Therapy - PHYR 210 2 units
English Placement of 50 in both reading and writing. If your English placement is lower than 50 you will need to take English 47A or a higher English course.
Observation: There are 2 options for observation. You do not need to complete them both.
Option 1 - Complete a minimum of 24 hours within the past 5 years directly observing a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant performing patient care. Eight (8) of those hours must be in an in-patient setting (acute care or skilled nursing facility will qualify). The remaining hours can be in any setting. If your hours were completed outside of the 5 year requirement, please complete an additional 8 hours in the setting of your choice to bring all of your hours current.
Option 2: Complete a minimum of 100 hours within the past 5 years directly observing a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant performing patient care. The hours may be completed in the setting of your choice. If your hours were completed outside of the 5 year requirement, please complete an additional 8 hours in the setting of your choice to bring all of your hours current.
Applicants must complete the following:
- Apply online to San Diego Mesa College. You will need your CSID# to complete the PTA application.
- Complete the application packet for the Physical Therapist Assistant Program. You will need all of these documents to complete the online application.
- Submit an online application for Physical Therapist Assistant Program through the Allied Health Department.
- Request official transcripts be sent directly to the Special Admissions Office of San Diego Mesa College.
San Diego Mesa College
Special Admissions, I4-102
7250 Mesa College Drive
San Diego, CA 92111
Note: If you have attended City, Mesa, or Miramar Colleges, you do not have to submit an official transcript. Your transcript will be obtained directly from the records office on your behalf.
The Application Packet
All documents must be in PDF format. Do not upload images.
A complete application packet includes the following requirements:
Updated application packet will be posted in Spring 2020.
- All observation experiences must be completed and signed off by the therapist prior to application submission (the next application deadline is April 26, 2021 at 12pm).
- Prerequisite courses can be completed in Summer 2021.
- Successful completion of prerequisite courses will be verified and acceptance to the PTA program will be pending proof of completion with passing grade.
Applicants who complete the academic prerequisites and submit a completed online application with supportive documentation by the application deadline will be given consideration for enrollment in program.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to assure that all supportive documentation is in their application – incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
The program will admit up to 30 students per year. A first come, first serve process will be performed to determine those accepted and creation of an alternate list. Up to the first 30 completed applications will be offered a spot in the program with a Fall 2021 start date and up to the second 30 completed applications will be offered a spot in the program with a Fall 2022 start date. Any modification of a submitted application will result in a new placement.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to maintain a current e-mail address with the college’s Special Admissions Office and return all mailings in a timely manner. Failure to return necessary paperwork will result in the person being removed from the current list.
Confirmation of Acceptance must be returned via email within 2 weeks of receipt of dated email.*
*Please be sure to respond by the date listed in the email as confirmation of acceptance response times change as the Fall semester approaches.Response dates for the next application cycle will be posted in 2021.
Please contact Special Admissions with any questions regarding acceptance.