WHAT WE OFFER
Start your career and get your music education at San Diego Mesa College!
In our MUSIC department you can:
- Get free lessons on your instrument
- Join an ensemble
- Perform on campus & off campus
- Compose your own music
- Make a portfolio
- Learn about music technology
- Record your music
- Try out new musical instruments
- Hear live diverse musical styles
- Collaborate with other musicians and departments
- Plan your transfer to a 4 year university
- Prepare for work in the music entertainment industry
- Earn Associate of Arts Degrees in Music Studies-Performance, Music Studies, Music Technology, or Music-Associate in Arts for Transfer
- Earn Certificates of Achievement in Music Theory, Composition & Music Technology
WHAT San Diego Mesa College Music Department OFFERS STUDENTS:
- Classes are small - classes adapted to individual needs and learning styles.
- Teachers care about students and want to keep them engaged and in class.
- Faculty are accomplished professionals in their fields who have a focus and commitment on teaching.
- Classes are affordable - $46.00/unit ($1104.00 in-state annual tuition) or $245.00/unit ($5856.00 out-of-state annual tuition) at San Diego Mesa College vs. $11,502.00 (in-state annual tuition) or $39,516.00 (out-of-state annual tuition) at University of California, San Diego (including required fees) and $7460.00 (in-state annual tuition) or $19,340.00 (out-of-state annual tuition) at San Diego State University.
- Classes are rigorous - you will be challenged and prepared for the world and university level work when you are finished.
- Classes are transferable.
- Standards are comparable or better than other San Diego colleges and universities.
- Classes are taught by faculty not grad students.
- Shared governance - teachers and administration are receptive to student input.
- High quality online classes available.
- Innovative programs - multimedia projects created in music theory classes.
- Free tutors and office hours for students needing extra help.
- State-of-the-art studio with instruction and full student access.
- Weekly free concerts in diverse styles - world music, jazz, folk, experimental, classical, electronic.
- Music students have use of the Maas Music Lab in C-108 to assist in learning and homework for Basic Musicianship, Music Theory I-IV, Ear Training I-IV, and Music Technology courses.