Contact San Diego Mesa College Music Department
- Music Instructional Assistant
Alan Goodman .
San Diego Mesa College
School of Arts & Languages, Music Department
Music Office C-109
7250 Mesa College Drive
San Diego, California 92111-4998
Attention: Alan Goodman, Music Instructional Assistant
The Music Department at San Diego Mesa College offers over 60 active courses, providing a lower division curriculum comparable to those in four-year institutions. We are training students to transfer to four year universities as well as to take part in the growing entertainment field, the largest industry in California. The Music Department has demanding and rewarding classes in theory, electronic music, voice, and jazz that provide non-music and music majors the opportunity to learn about and create music. Since 1995 we have awarded $30,000+ in scholarships to music majors transferring to 4-year institutions. If you care about music and want a superior music education, San Diego Mesa College is the best choice.
Fall Classes 2018
Please note: We recommend signing up for Music classes as early as possible. Classes with low enrollment may be cancelled prior to the beginning of the semester.
San Diego Mesa College Concert Jazz Band
A selected group of limited membership devoted to the preparation and performance
of the best contemporary jazz and stage band literature. Designed to meet the needs
of the student desiring to enter the field of professional stage band work, but open
to qualified students of any department of the college. The group gives public concerts
and supplies music for college functions. Attendance at rehearsals and performances
is an integral part of this course. Offered every semester. 1 Unit, MUSI 252. The
Concert Jazz Band is offered every semester meeting on Tuesdays and Thursdays from
4:10-5:35 pm in C-119. Contact: Ian Tordella email@example.com
San Diego Mesa College Guitar Ensemble
San Diego Mesa College Vocal Ensemble
Applied Music Program
Applied Music Program (AMP) provides individual instruction on your instrument, performances in weekly master classes and participation in music department recitals. Admission is by audition. Click here for more information.
Applications are due February 20, 2018
The Mesa College Scholarship Program enables students to complete their studies, and is one of the keys to ensuring student success through financial support. Scholarships range in value from $250 – $2,500. Scholarship opportunities are available to all Mesa students. To see the scholarships for those participating or planning to participate in Mesa College Music classes, click “Apply Here.” At the top of the new page, click “Sign Up" if interested in applying.
Start your career and get your music education at San Diego Mesa College!
- AA in Music
- Transfer degree for CSU and UC
- 3 Certificates of Completion in Music Theory, Music Technology, and Music Composition
How We Contribute
- The Applied Music Program: limited enrollment via competitive auditions have nurtured highly talented musicians, the majority successfully transfer in their specialty
- Concert Jazz Band: Solid reputation throughout community with high energy and popular community concerts
- Vocal Ensemble: performed concerts throughout San Diego and on international tours featuring a variety of programs dedicated to gospel music, music of the Pacific Rim, African music, vocal jazz and western European masterworks
- Variety of other ensembles: Guitar Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, and World Music Ensemble
- Recital Hour: Weekly musical performances showcase talented students, masterful faculty, musicians of the local community and performers of world renown, and a venue for educational quality concerts for students, campus and community
- The Electronic Music Studio: State of the Art recording facility and computer music production studio available to students at any level of interest and ability with a very broad curriculum
- Music Composition courses: virtually unheard of at community colleges, composition and songwriting regarded as a core skill for the creative musician
- The Music Theory program: recognized State-wide for its rigor, courses transfer directly
to CSU and UC music programs. Students place without deficiencies at major conservatories