Academic Senate means an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters.
"Academic and professional matters" means the following policy development and implementation matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as are mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate
"Consult Collegially" means that the District Governing Board shall develop policies on Academic and Professional matters through either or both of the following:
- Rely primarily upon the advice and judgment of the Academic Senate, OR
- The Governing Board, or its designees, and the Academic Senate shall reach mutual agreement by written resolution, regulation, or policy of the Governing Board effecutating such recommendations.