Committee - A group of persons elected or appointed to perform some service or function, as to investigate, report on, or act upon a particular matter. A committee only has power as assigned by its appointer.
Subcommittee - A subdivision of a committee usually organized for a specific purpose.
Task Force - A temporary work group comprised of individuals with specified knowledge for the purpose of accomplishing a definite objective, with the expectation that the group will disband when the objective has been completed.
Advisory Committee – A committee established for a specific discipline that is comprised of discipline faculty and members in their field of expertise outside the institution.
Steering Committee -The steering committee is a body responsible for guidance, policy and direction within an organization. Committee Membership
Committee Membership is outlined for each PG Group as to the number of representatives from each constituent group. Members are appointed by their respective constituent group as follows:
- Faculty (includes Associate Faculty, where specified): Academic Senate
- Students: Student Government Association
- Management: President/Vice Presidents
- Classified (includes Supervisory and Confidential): Classified Senate
Committees may also contain resource and/or non-voting members based on need and can be invited to participate by consensus of the committee.
All workgroup webpages should contain the following information:
- Responsibility and Reporting Lines
- Membership Composition
- Terms of Membership
- Meeting Dates/Times
- Annual Outcomes
I will create a committee page template so every committee page displays the same information in the same format...
Suggested Committee Organizational Tasks
It is recommended that committees perform certain tasks during an academic year meeting cycle:
- Re-confirm membership, noting Chairs and constituent designation (i.e. Faculty, Classified, Student)
- Review yearly outcomes/goals and status from previous Academic Year and set outcomes/goals for current year
- Review charge and membership and make any changes necessary. Note: Changes approved by the committee will need to be approved by the committee’s reporting body.
- Report on the committee’s outcomes/goals
- Confirm membership for the following year
- Establish calendar of meetings including day, time and location (as much as possible)