- Global Awareness
- Guided Pathways
- Hispanic Serving Institution
- Student Success & Equity
- Humanities Institute
About the Humanities Institute
Since it began as a campus-wide initiative in September of 1990, the Humanities Institute has supported the work of faculty and staff to bring diverse programming/events (including organizing and sponsoring conferences, guest speaker series, and community partnerships) to Mesa College. In the past, this was made possible by having a full-time faculty member and staff support to coordinate this level of work with the campus.
The Mesa College Humanities Institute serves as an internal vehicle for cultural, interdisciplinary, and Mesa College community priorities. All institute activities are intended to increase student engagement, recruitment, and retention.
CLICK FOR FUNDING PROPOSAL for Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 (funding flexible depending on district response to COVID-19 pandemic)
Humanities Institute Objectives
- Provide a funding base for faculty and staff to use for coordinating/organizing programs/events that promote our mission of working to serve as an internal vehicle for cultural, Interdisciplinary and San Diego Mesa College community priorities.
- Provide support to complete paperwork related to funded programming/events.
- Provide a network of campus and community partners for publicizing programming/events through email and print.
- Cultural Enrichment: Concerts plays, Interaction with professional artist, Lectures seminars
- Curriculum Enhancement: Resource Development, Master Classes, “Informances”
- Staff Development: New Directions in the Arts, Interdisciplinary Collaboration, Multicultural Education
- Outreach/partnerships: K – 12 Activities, Regional Center, Arts Organization/Partnerships
Resources for the Humanities
- Community College Humanities Association
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- California Council for the Humanities
- California Arts Council
- San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture
For more information contact: Denise Rogers, Humanities Institute Coordinator, email@example.com / 619-388-2371.
2019 - 2020 Grant Recipients
14th Annual Language Conference Michael Harris
19th Annual Women’s History Month Women’s Studies
25th Anniversary Mesa Visions Jennifer Derilo
Black History Month Celebration Thekima Mayasa
Cesar Chavez Celebration Chicano Studies
Chicano/Latino Heritage Celebration Manuel Velez
Chinese Culture Celebration Shannon Shi
Constitution Day 2018 Courtney Lee
Cultural Unity Week/Festival of Colors CDAIE/Denise Rogers
Day of the Dead Celebration Languages
Fine and Performing Arts Lecture Series Music/Drama/Fine Art/Fashion/Dance
International Education Day Languages
Vagina Monologues Art History, Spanish